23 Feb web intelligence
Webi Overview Training
I am Mondy Holten, 8+ years experience as Business Objects developer. In this training you will learn more about SAP BusinessObjects Web Intelligence (Webi).
SAP Business Objects Web Intelligence (Webi) is an easy to use tool for the creation of reports with the help of only a web browser. It is an ad-hoc query and reporting environment within the SAP BusinessObjects suite of products. Webi offers several efficient features. Without any programming, users can create complex reports in the web and execute analysis. Then they can distribute the analytical results on the Business Intelligence platform or export them into different formats such as PDF or MS-Excel.
SAP Business Objects Webi is closely linked to the Business Intelligence platform and has interfaces to mobile and devices (Mobile BI). It has a functionality to ensure time or event oriented automatic publishing and also to program distribution processes on the basis of individually definable rules.
Webi allows you to get instant answers to your business questions and take action as you go. Thanks to fast, decision-ready insights from any data source. It provides organizations with intuitive and customizable ad-hoc reporting tools and real-time analytics on a desktop, the web or a mobile device.
Fundamentally, Web Intelligence is an environment that provides self-service access to data. Reporting, querying and information analysis are all integrated in Webi as a single product. It helps business users turn insights from reports into smart and efficient decisions. Webi users also have a very fast access to data as well as an ease in analyzing this data in order to understand what is trending and what are the root causes.
The interface of Webi is very intuitive which is a great feature for users and allows them to be more flexible in viewing and reporting data from different perspectives. However, a lot of report users might only have to create their reports from zero, it is many times a must for business users to adapt reports to answer actual business questions. Thanks to Web Intelligence users can easily edit reports and queries to reflect their latest data requirements. Here are the advantages of Webi:
- Format and resize cells, charts and tables
- View, remove or edit report, section or block filters
- Set sorts and breaks
- Calculations insert
- Expand tables with rows and columns
- Duplicate and create tables and charts
- Transform grids into charts and charts into grids
- Create variables and formulas
- Real-time edit of cell formulas
- Report objects recombination within tables and charts
In summary, Web Intelligence provides a self-service environment for users to retrieve and interact with data while at the same time providing:
- Functionality to generate answers to business questions
- Detailed data and business analysis
- The utilization of business technology rather than cryptic technical jargon
- Ease of use with drag and drop interface for the creation of documents
What are the benefits of Webi?
Quick and accurate answers to an increasing amount of complex business questions is a goal that Webi does actually solve as opposed to other Business Intelligence systems even though it is not the most complex nor the most comprehensive solution. The bigger the data amounts are, the harder to understand they are. Analogically, the bigger the business is, the heavier each decision made by its employees becomes. But answering to business questions in an efficient way is never an easy task. Once, in many cases, it is based on data analysis, which can last up to two months if provided manually. Business Intelligence systems not only take care of this problem, but handle also a lot of many other related problems. But not all organizations will require a whole business intelligence system. There are cases where they need solutions which are cheaper than a whole BI system and provide a tighter area of interest. That is the essence of SAP BusinessObjects Web Intelligence and here are its most crucial features and benefits.
Webi features can be divided into three main components:
- Ad-hoc reporting and analysis basis
- Ability of users to access data on their own (Self-services)
- Sharing functionalities and insights
Webi is a product which provides an access to the organization data. Thanks to that, business users can quickly get data they need and give a quick response to recent questions almost immediately. And because it is a self-service, it allows non-technical users to avoid going to IT experts for help. All on their own they can access data, create ad-hoc reports and perform analysis on data from multiple sources. Turning a corporation’s data into insights has never been easier thanks to Webi.
SAP BusinessObjects Web Intelligence software was specifically designed for maximum intuitiveness and simplicity. Therefore, end users have a wide range of choice like numerous context menus, drag and drop features, additional charts and a very well organized toolbar. So without any special effort, interactive analysis can be accessed. Then users have all types of options of what to do with this data to get the best insights. The can vary from information drilling, slicing to demand formatting. A lot of weight in Webi was attached to its mobility. With Web Intelligence, business users can ask questions and analyze data as well as identify trends and tendencies no matter where they are. They do not need to be tied to their desks.
Complex and efficient access to data is at the fundamental core of any successful analysis. Business users of Webi can easily access data from multiple sources at the same time. The type of the sources also is irrelevant. Webi ensures compatibility with all types. There are cases where a company’s information might not be sufficient enough. Webi resolves this problem by offering its users the chance to supply the organization information with data from their own sources. Because the smartest answer to a business question can be hidden in multiple data sources which are divided into separate elements. Webi allows users to combine all the elements and put them into an integral whole.
Not all the insights into data are required and not all are reliable and trusted. SAP Business Objects Web Intelligence ensures the highest level of data trustworthiness by leveraging common business terms and the semantic layer. At the same time, Webi keeps an eye on transparency and visibility which are indispensable within the sources of data and report details as well. Web Intelligence also allows users to share their reports in a secure environment with other employees, customers, partners, managers and stakeholders all over the world.
Generally, business users’ benefits from Webi are:
- Widened user autonomy
- Simplified access to data
- Completely new insights into data
- Enhanced efficiency and productivity
- Repeatable framework to support reporting and analytics
- Powerful report sharing functionality
- Data access control
- Usage control over system resources
- Universal tools for different tasks
- Lowered TCO
Webi Overview Training
This training includes, in a nutshell:
- Webi for beginners
- How to create a query in SAP BO Webi 4.x
- How to create a data restriction in SAP BO Webi 4.x
- How to design a New Webi Document in SAP BO 4.x
- Data visualization in SAP BO Webi 4.x
- Calculations and formulas in SAP BO Webi 4.x
- How to use Multiple Data sources
- Data analyzing in SAP BO Webi 4.x
- Maintaining Webi Documents
- Sharing Webi documents in SAP BO Webi 4.x
This is just an overview of Webi and the training, not the complete end product. In the actual training we will dive in to more detail.
Contact Mondy Holten, Business Objects developer:
- 8+ years of experience with Business Objects Web Intelligence, Designer, CMC/Security
- Experience developing reports with Tableau Desktop and Business Object s
- Proficient with SQL and Entity Relationship diagrams
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of Data Warehousing concepts and principles
- Experience in developing and maintaining Business Object reports, universe and metadata
- Experience with unit testing and validation of Business object reports and universes
- Experience with developing report prototypes and fine tune report deliverables
- Demonstrated experience with the identification of risks/issues and recommend mitigating actions.
- Experience with identifying key milestones and tracking progress accordingly.
- Experience producing metrics, creating documentation, and process workflows
- Demonstrated experience in translating customer requirements into technical tasks to validate system specifications are met